Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Sssssss........bastids!

There you go....that's what my little Mini looks like. Rather I should say that's what she did look like as there are changes afoot.... she'll still be the same colour, but better so to speak.

I'm showing this piccie as sort of an experiment (my first illustration .. Eeeep!).... and also because Vanessa is one of the most important things in my life. This may seem "sad" of me, but I'm very keen on preserving things that are past, I detest the throwaway society we live in nowadays and all its associated uncaring attitudes towards repairing broken or faulty machinery/cars/bicycles and so on.

Anyway, back to Vanessa. She is a 1979 Clubman Automatic, and for a start that makes her somewhat of an oddity, I've never seen another Auto "Clubbie" and it would seem not many other people have either. When I first obtained her the previous owner had tried driving her through a gap.... nothing wrong you'd think - 'cept the gap was about 3' 6" and a Mini is 4' 6" wide! Since then I've spent about ten years getting her back on the road, rebuilding and repairing her and in some areas modifying the crumbling remnants of parts that were after all getting on for thirty years old. The unusual appearance of the outside, is meant to reflect the days of the Minis swansong in motorsport. A time when almost all of the benefits offered by what was an innovative design were being superceded by cars from other manufacturers and the brainchild of Alec Issigonis was no longer the "giant killer" it had been. She is also a tribute to the women who campaigned these little cars , many of whom continued in motorsport but unfortunately with little recognition.

So, you can see I have a deep and caring relationship with my car (told you I was sad ;-) ) so it really makes me fume when she gets damaged - which is what has happened.

Around this area (a Council Estate) the youths have recently been riding "MiniMotos" - a form of toy motorbike. This is bad enough as they tend to ride these machines on the playing field and the exhausts of these bikes are not very quiet. These idiots also have impromptu races around some of the streets further spreading the noise pollution which often goes on into the night as well as the risk of causing or having an accident. Now these youths seem to have little or no means of financial support - goodness knows how they got these bikes - and in order it seems to further their "Grand Prix de Estate" , they've taken to raiding cars for fuel .... including mine.

They've broken the locking fuel cap without getting it off and damaged thhe filler neck , so now I'll have to carry on what they've started and then replace the cap. On top of this they've also had a go at my friend's Mini (Xena - Rust Princess) breaking that cap and also trying to get into the car (there are two obviously empty fuel cans inside - no lids ) damaging both door locks and the boot lock for some reason.

It was suggested by a neighbour that I call the Police. The last time I did that to report the finding of a stolen motor scooter, they never came. That was also used for the shennanigins on the field so I called the Police again (several times) they still didn't come, and much to my dismay the scooter is now destroyed - R.I.P. 1966 Lambretta.

I'm sorry for the rant people.... but I'm soooo angry!



I'd string piano wire up if I could get away with it......

13 Comments:

Blogger Camie Vog said...

Yeah! A Mini!!! My husband has a 1966 with a transplanted 1275 motor from a newer model. It has the sliding windows. When he returns from work, I'll send him to your blog to check out yours.
Sorry to hear about your Lambretta. I still kick myself for passing on one a few years back. He only wanted $400 US for it...Now they are going for $2000 US in shitty condition. I asked for a new Stella scooter for my 40th birthday. Being that I'll have 2 kids by that time, I'm curious to see if I actually get one. And if I do, will I really have time to ride it?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Kat Maul said...

Hiya Camie! *waves* ...it wasn't my scooter hon, it was obviously dumped after being stolen. I was trying to be public spirited - plus it was somebodies pride and joy. A lot of work had gone in to it, I didn't want to see it end up as a burnt out wreck.
It's great to hear of other Mini owners, more so of those across the pond...drop us an e-mail (I think we can do that can't we?)

12:54 AM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Oops, Hubby's is a 1960 850 Mini with a 1964 1275 motor. It is left hand drive, manual transmission. It is currently in storage, waiting patiently for proper restoration. I have been with hubby for almost 10 years and have yet to drive it. He used to use it as a daily driver, then wised up to what he had and decided to restore it. He is looking for parts, do you have a line on any? I am assuming from your post that you do your own work on it. He said he will look for pictures of his so we can email them to you. Last I saw it, it was on jack stands and we had done a four wheel brake job on it (Drums all the way around!). I myself, own a 1972 BMW 2002 which hopefully will be on the road by next summer. Talk soon

1:07 AM  
Blogger Kat Maul said...

There are many sources of parts here in the UK..... we'll get the E-mail thingy sorted ... else my blog will look like a Mini owner's convention! hehe!

1:26 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Don't let Cappy see the RIP Lambretta bit or he'll be suicidal with grief!

Jax wants a mini when she passes her test.

An uncle took me rallying in a mini at 15 and we ended up in a pond. I said "Left" instead of right. Reminds me of some'at....

3:07 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Okay. My email is available thru my blogger profile.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they killed a lambretta, utter gits! it would have upset me a whole lot more if it was a vespa!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool Kat ina cool car!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

More! More! We need more posts from you!
xoxo

2:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yeh, Kat ... post. Or else I'll come round there with a wet haddock; and you know what fish does to puppies; just ask butt sniffer over there.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

puppy is so not into fish... o u mean tha food not girls hehehehe

8:34 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

halibuts are more effective I'm told

2:02 PM  
Blogger The Anti Crapitalist said...

I had a good friend with an auto Clubman teays ago. Spend many drunken nights on "autopilot" as it took us home. It had great mustard coloured vinyl seats that stank.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home