Sunday, August 20, 2006

Freedom of speech?

Having just caught up with Mr. Dinners blog, I'm somewhat "terrorised" myself.


I thought we lived in a country where the ability to speak freely without fear of reprisal was a right - it appears that I'm wrong. The knowledge that airports are notoriously easy to gain access to is hardly a state secret, after all millions of people do so in the pursuit of perfectly legal activities. The fact that pointing this out now seems to be sailing on the edge of aiding and abetting terrorists is ludicrous.


I'm also aware that many of the so called "staff access only" areas are so very accessible. I was nearly waved through a barrier while driving a yellow Mini Traveller - yes,one of those "half-timbered" Mini estates! - and equally when I worked as a despatch rider, I frequently entered areas of the airport that were nominally "out of bounds". All the security measures seem to be placed in areas where the public are, and as such I can see that persons intent on boarding aircraft intent on doing harm should be stopped - however there is much more to an airport than all the shiny glass and stainless steel of the terminal buildings, maybe it's these that the powers that be want to protect.


As the security forces seem to suggest they know about what plans malicious groups might have, it seems very odd that there is no thought given to the ingress of "devices" through the back door so to speak. Maybe 4D's post suddenly jogged someone's memory ...perhaps light suddenly dawned on the planners?


Whatever the reasons, I sympathise with Dinners....I was working for a security company during another period of terrorist alert (after an Arabic airline DC 10 exploded just after takeoff), and had to ferret through traveller's luggage and to guard certain airline's aircraft ..... yep! just me wandering around on the hardstand of a bleedin' great Jumbo Jet! (I wasn't even allowed inside the thing - it was bloody cold out in there in the wind) What would I have done if anybody had wanted to molest the 'plane? I don't know. I had no radio, no baton and nobody around for possibly miles in any direction to call on for help.

Well....we'll see if I get told off for this post (I think "they" may be monitoring for the words terrorist,device and bomb) but meanwhile -

- you stay safe Four Dinners do y''hear me? ;-)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still sasy alla those guys should go on strile til thay r protected

12:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't believe it - only five posts and you get mre comments than I do! Phah! You even get poked by Puppy! ooh, er!

12:54 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Ta Kat. Will do. x

11:44 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

CH4 Sep 4th Dispatches. 9pm.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kat Maul said...

Okees 4D ....I'll be watchin'

1:01 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Post some'at or Puppy'll poke yer

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home